This course provides two and a half hours of recorded lecture with Dr. Cannon.
The goal of this course is to provide students with a basic understanding of the herbs that belong to the Relieve the Surface of Wind Cold and Wind Heat categories in the Chinese Materia Medica.
For each herb studied the course will cover:
- the name in Pin Yin, and Latin
- the taste, temperature and channel association
- the primary actions and indications for each herb
For each formula studied the course will cover:
- the name in Pin Yin and English/Latin
- the primary actions and indications for each formula
- the primary conditions treated by each formula
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Differentiate common herbal substances based on their individual qualities and natures.
- Discuss the following with regards to the most commonly used herbs and formulas to relieve the surface:
- Chinese, Pin Yin, Latin, botanical, and common nomenclature
- Category and functions
- Visual identification
- Taste, temperature, and entering meridian
- Taxonomy and nomenclature
- Actions and indications; classical and contemporary usage
- Application of herbal dosages
- Clinical application of the formulas studied